Saturday, November 15, 2014

DUO & Ardell Lash Adhesive Warning


Ardell

I remember I was in 6th grade when my parent's allowed me to start wearing a bit of make up. I was pretty heavy with the foundation, because I had difficult acne and oily skin. Because I was self consciousness about my skin I started to feel the same with my lashes. I am naturally blond, so they look invisible. They don't do me any justice. My lashes are short, thin, point straight down, and refuse to curl. It was in 8th grade when I was introduced to strip lashes by my older sister.
My sister, who was a sophomore in college began to wear them all the time, but those lashes completed everything that I was looking for. She looked fabulous. And I wanted that.
Of course my parents we're furious, because at that time I loved the long, big, barbie-fake looking lashes. However I imagine it was my age.😂 
 But soon, lashes became a habit I was never able to kick.

Fast forward to 9 years later, I became a licensed cosmetologist, another 2 years later I had become a certified lash extension technician. Here I am another 11-12 years later, and I am STILL fixated on lashes. The technologies, methods, education, and products/ingredients continue to improve in the lash world. And now, my parent's aren't so furious with my decision to wear lashes when I was younger, since they've seen to pay themselves off ;).

However, it wasn't until I was talking with one of my clients, who is also a licensed cosmetologist, about strip lashes and clusters while comparing them to lash extensions. We got to talking about ingredients in certain products that drives us NUTS. But than she dropped a bombshell on me.

I feel like such an idiot for not knowing, but I had NEVER looked, nor did I ever imagine that ingredient would be in there. However,

Ardell and DUO, the 2 MOST COMMON and popular false, strip lashes, and cluster lash adhesives, contain Formaldehyde.
Three words : Cancer Hazard Material

DUO (CLEAR) Adhesive Ingredients:
Aqua (Water, Eau), Rubber Latex, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Dodecylbenzenesulfonate,Ammonium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool,Formaldehyde. May Contain: CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

ARDELL (CLEAR) Adhesive Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Rubber Latex, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Dodecylbenesulfonate, Ammonium Hydroxide, fragrance (parfum), Coumarin, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Formaldehyde, Iron Oxides (CI 77499).

Even though there is a small amount in the adhesives, what bothers me is knowing I have worn strip lashes for a lengthy periods of time, so my body has been absorbing each day I wear that damn adhesive.
But it got me thinking more negative thoughts. I know the adhesive is somewhat "flexible and soft", but can still pull out your natural lashes with the falsies, thus why it is temporary and can only last one day/a few hours..... I know some clients say the adhesive can hold up for DAYS, but if you aren't cleaning your eyes for more than 1-2 days, I am sorry, but that's gross, not to mention you could easily start to harbor discharge from the eye, bacteria, etc. And can lead to blepharitis, or other eye infections. 

NOTE: NO FALSE LASHES Such as strip lashes or cluster "individuals" lashes should NEVER be applied with eyelash extensions or medical grade adhesives. Or any other adhesives for that matter. 

I know Formaldehyde is found in a lot of things that people are surrounded with. We can't escape the ingredient, but if Brazilian Blowout could re-formulate there products with OUT any formaldehyde or any "chemical reaction" that would create formaldehyde, than surely DUO or ARDELL could jump on that band wagon.
There are a few adhesives that do not have the harsh ingredient inside, but the most common to find these days at any CVS, Walgreens, Sephora, Ulta, even MAC Cosmetics, are one of the two, Ardell or Duo.


Formaldehyde is a nasty substance, so do yourself, your eyes, and health a favor, and check for formaldehyde.

RESOURCES:
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=prod1031050
 http://www.sephora.com/eyelash-adhesive-P266812

No comments:

Post a Comment